I'm not on Facebook very much these days (more of a Twitter girl myself) aside from getting news from friends in far flung places. Well, those places became even more far flung this morning with the Facebook announcement that a couple I'm friends with are moving to Amsterdam for her dream job. It was shocking. Thrilling. And thought-provoking.
After working until 1am last night this got me thinking. Am I dreaming big enough? Are the fruits of my efforts bringing me closer to my dreams so that a year from now I can say that my life is much better and my dreams fulfilled or at least on the horizon?
Here's a smattering of the big dreams my friends have accomplished just since the New Year.
- Next weekend I will attend the wedding of a friend who was dreaming about finding the right person just two years ago. She did meet him--just mere weeks later.
- Two friends moved to NYC to pursue their startup.
- A girlfriend and colleague of mine is always dreaming big and having an impact on her local community. This time with an event next weekend, Tellerpalooza.
- Another friend has been traveling the world for two years, recently checking Dubai and Nairobi off his list.
- A couple finally sold their home in another state and bought a place in their new city--something they'd been dreaming about for over 2 years.
- Australia was the destination for a couple of co-workers who married and had kids.
- A good friend of mine finally finished the book he's been writing and is submitting it to book publishers.
And finally, to bookend the dreams...a friend is working from Amsterdam this month just because he wanted to see if he could do it.
All this stupendous news has me pondering. What are my dreams? Are my dreams big enough so that if you stacked them up they'd reach the sky? Am I working towards the exciting lifetime dreams or just grinding through the to do list for the day?
While I know all this big news isn't every day and won't continue at this pace, it excites me. It makes me want to go after my dreams and make sure that if I'm working until 1am that it better be on something that's moving me down the football field to my goal line.
What about you? Are you dreaming BIG? Are you actively pursuing your goals like a dog with a bone? Are you working on your own dreams or those of someone else?